Barry Samuels attended at Manchester University where he gained a first class honours degree followed by a first class honours in his professional qualification. He qualified at Nabarro Nathanson in 1971 where he became the youngest solicitor appointed to partnership. He moved to become a partner and subsequently head of department at Manches & Co in 1974, Brecher & Co in 1986 and finally Kingsley Napley in 1996. After retiring from Kingsley Napley in 2009 he joined GSC in 2010 as a consultant returning to practice after missing the challenges of dispute resolution.
Barry deals with a wide variety of disputes (many with an international element) and some of his recent cases at GSC include:
– a shareholders’ dispute involving a deadlock company in which one of the two shareholders sought permission to bring a derivative action;
– successfully resisting with indemnity costs an attempt by a Russian businessman to obtain an anti-suit injunction in England to restrain proceedings in the New York Court. The case also involves a Jersey law element;
– a franchise dispute regarding the marketing in America and Canada goods carrying the Gordon Ramsay branding;
– a dispute regarding the sale a property owned by an elderly and frail gentleman at a significant undervalue involving breach of the estate agents’ duty and challenges to the bona fides of the purchaser;
– seeking injunctive relief regarding the interference with property rights at an industrial site in Park Royal.
back to profiles
‘A small firm which punches well above its weight’ GSC Solicitors LLP undertook leasing transactions for several blue-chip corporate tenants, particularly in the media sector. It acted for a number of hotel owners regarding the acquisition and development of new hotels.
“We have found the service excellent, and it is for this reason we have continued to use GSC. The key strengths for us have been a commercial approach to deals that is often missing from solicitors, and a personal service based on a knowledge of us and our needs and long-term plans.”
“The main positive comparison we have noted from GSC is the personal touch and commercial acumen.”
“We have often used different legal firms for IP and other work in the past, but GSC’s commercial approach and professionalism, coupled with the excellent working relationship we have built up over a number of years makes it our preferred choice.”
“As a Financial Advisor I have been personally using and recommending GSC for over thirty years. I have referred clients of mine to them and only ever been thanked for the recommendation, which should convey the confidence I have in the individuals, and the firm.”
“Great result today. Just wanted to say thank you for your continued hard work in fighting our corner on this case. You have both been amazing. Michael incredible support and good ideas.”
Giving evidence is a serious business and the foundations for so doing should be laid well before the trial itself. Here are some tips: Be aware that the witness box is a......